Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mimi stays to help!

My mom, affectionately known as "Mimi" to the grandkids, was a LIFESAVER during those first 2 weeks of Jacob's life!  She was faithful to come help at the hospital, giving Brett a much needed short break when he had a moment.  Not only did she help Brett take care of Jacob, but also me, since I was out of commission there for a couple of days.  When we arrived home, she jumped right in helping to wash bottles, clean up the house, cook, and feed/diaper baby!  Everyone that came to visit said "It doesn't look like you have a newborn here!"  I would tell them that it was thanks to mom!  On the nights before Brett would go into work all day, she would wake up and help me with the middle of the night feedings.  Brett was so appreciative to even get 5-6 hours of consecutive "sleep" (he still woke up with the baby crying. . . just didn't have to get out of the bed.  :)

The best part of having her there was the bond that it created between us.  Mom and I have always been close, keeping in touch even from NC.  Most my life, I have been known as the independent one, even from when I was a baby.  Well. . . let me just say that motherhood has changed that!  I wanted Brett and I wanted my mama EVERY second of those first few weeks.  They both listened to me as I would become overwhelmed at times and were the BEST encouragers!  Mom could especially relate and remember her first days as a new mom and was so patient with my ramblings.  I feel even closer to her now that we share the same job description and can't believe what she and my dad did to keep me alive and happy all those years!  :)  I love my mama and can't even begin to say what it meant to have her there for me during those important days.  Jacob, Brett, and I love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment